Babies, once they begin to crawl, as cute as they may be to look at, are also always in a potentially hazardous situation that parents need to take care of. A crawling baby who is always on the move suddenly finds himself in reach of so many things around the house that they’d want to touch, feel and perhaps taste everything, causing them to expose themselves to fatal incidents.
Baby gates, in such a scenario, come in handy and are perhaps the best way to babyproof a home. Baby gates help cut off various areas of your home into different sections, letting you decide which part of the house should a baby be allowed in and which part should they be kept away from. For example, you may put a baby gate between your kitchen and the living room to let the baby freely crawl in the living room but hindering their entry into the kitchen.
Depending on the design of your home, you may need more than one gate to cordon off different sections of the house. But the multiple kinds and types of baby gates available in the market, how do you know what you should really be investing in and how do you pick yourself the best baby gate for your toddler? ParenthoodBliss brings to you the answer!
Here are the top best baby gates for stairs and doorways to invest in:
- 1 1. Summer Infant Multi-Use Decorative Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate (Baby Gate for Doors)
- 2 2. North States 38.5″ Wide Easy-Close Baby Gate – (Baby Gate for Doors)
- 3 3. Cardinal Gates Stairway Special Baby Gate (Baby Gate for Doors)
- 4 4. Summer Infant Deluxe Stairway Simple to Secure Wood Gate (Baby Gate for Doors)
- 5 5. Dreambaby Chelsea Gate (Baby Gate for Stairs and Doorways)
- 6 FAQs
1. Summer Infant Multi-Use Decorative Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate (Baby Gate for Doors)
Height: 36 inches tall
Width: 28.5 to 45 inches wide
A pressure-mounted baby gate for doors, this one comes included with hardware mounts which means it totally is up to you how and in which format you would like to install it around the house (at the door or top of stairs). Offered in two beautiful colors, bronze & beige, this baby gate for doors can fit openings as wide as 45 inches and comes with an auto-close feature that locks the doors after you’ve walked through. The lock can also be opened with just one hand, offering so much utility and functionality.
When you install this baby gate in between two rooms or on the door, the door swings in both directions. However, if used at the top of the stairs, the equipped stopper will prevent it from opening towards the staircase and it will only open in the opposite direction.
It should be noted, however, that this baby gate for doors has a step-over rail at the bottom which could be a tripping hazard for babies who are transitioning from crawling to standing up; also a watch out if they have elder babies/children and senior citizens in the house.
2. North States 38.5″ Wide Easy-Close Baby Gate – (Baby Gate for Doors)
Height: 29 inches tall
Width: 28 to 38.5 inches wide
A baby gate for doors with one of the most convenient locking systems, this one shuts lock just with one push! Offering a triple locking system, this gate swings both ways and is made in heavy construction engineering to ensure durability and quality. When placed between rooms and on doorways, the tension nobs of this gate further secure it well in place, making it an ideal, non-hazardous choice.
Apart from the two extensions supplied in the pack to have this gate fit even wider spaces, additional extensions are also sold by the manufacturer should you need an extra-wide baby gate. However again, there’s a step-over rail at the bottom that one needs to look out for in order to avoid hazards and accidents. As for one of the best parts about this gate, it offers a hold-open function which keeps the gate open for long periods and for several go-throughs. Available in bronze and white colors.
3. Cardinal Gates Stairway Special Baby Gate (Baby Gate for Doors)
Height: 29.5 inches tall
Width: 27 to 42.5 inches wide
One of the best baby gates out there for the top of stairs, this one is a walk-through gate, equipped with a door stopper that prevents the door from swinging out over the staircase. It should be noted that this baby gate is designed to fit on angles up to 30 degrees and so if there’s a peculiar angle at your home you’d want to fit this gate at, buy it without any second thoughts!
If you have only one wall, this one would still fit by using additional square/ round clamps to fasten it to the banister on the other side. Made in a durable, easily cleanable powder-coated finish, it further features a lock that can be opened even with just one hand.
For the best part still, there’s no step-over rail at the bottom and hence there are no hazards to always be on the lookout for! Available in colors black and white.
4. Summer Infant Deluxe Stairway Simple to Secure Wood Gate (Baby Gate for Doors)
Height: 32 inches tall
Width: 30 to 48 inches wide
A multi-functional baby gate for doors, this one can be used even on hallways and at doorways, making it so much more likable and one of the best baby gates available out there. Made out of wood and available in unique color options like ‘antique oak finish’ this baby gate offers a comfortable grip for convenient one-hand opening and also comes with a door stopper that prevents it from swinging over the stairs.
Besides, if you already have banisters, you can choose to additionally purchase the Summer Infant universal banister mounting kits and avoid the hassle of drilling and damaging the wood.
Read Also: Best Steering Wheels Toys
5. Dreambaby Chelsea Gate (Baby Gate for Stairs and Doorways)
Height 39.5 inches tall
Width 38 to 42.5 inches wide
An extra tall metal baby gate, hardware-mounted baby gate for stairs and doorways alike, this one is a walk-through gate, and just by screwing the hardware mounting cups in place, you could safely use it for stairways too! Featuring a secure, one-handed double-locking system (locks on the top + bottom of the gate), you can open and close this door, and it also auto-locks with an EZY indicator that turns red when the door is not locked in properly.
This pressure-mounted baby gate further also has a stay-open feature to keep it open and in place when desired. Extendable up to 198.5 inches with the help of additional extensions, this is perhaps one of the best baby gates for stairs in the extra-wide category. Once more, though, this one also has a step-over rail at the bottom and is a tripping hazard that needs to be looked out for. Available in colors black and white.
Once your little angel starts crawling and moving around the house, your otherwise seemingly harmless house will start to look rather hazardous and you will find yourself doing a lot of things to make the house hazard proof- including the installation of baby gates! While in pursuit of baby proofing and shielding your baby to make sure they’re safe.
Also, when it comes to baby safety, before buying a baby gate, we recommend you always double-check the safety standards and that it is approved on sites like Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Your baby’s well-being and safety are only in your hand after all!
1) What are pressure-mounted gates?
A pressure-mounted baby gate tension fits between two walls, just by applying some outwards pressure to keep them in place. Such gates are typically the best for doorways and for when you don’t want marks on the wall. It should also be noted, however, that pressure-mounted baby gates are less secure than hardware-mounted baby gates and hence, should be avoided for use on stairs.
2) How long do you need a baby gate?
Typically, baby gates are advised in homes with babies starting from 6 months up to 2 years of age. It is advised to remove the gate once the baby turns 2 as they may then try to climb over and hurt themselves in the process.
3) What is a hardware-mounted baby gate?
A hardware-mounted baby gate refers to gates that include wall-mounted and doorway-mounted baby gates. Ideal for the top or bottom of the stairs, for gate installation, all you need to do is to drill a screw into the wall and fit it in place. Such doors are usually known to be more secure than pressure-mounted but they may not be very easy to install and will always leave a mark on the wall owing to the drilling.
Here are the other great models available on Amazon today:
- Pet gate in textured graphite measures 39.125 high inches & expands from 29.5 - 38 inches wide, pet gate includes two additional 3 inch extensions
- One-handed operation metal pet gate w/ a secure spring-loaded latch keeping gate safely closed when not in use. Please note the gap between gate & latch will be eliminated when gate is fully...
- 19" wide door swings conveniently in either direction for easy walk-through (spacing between vertical bars is 2 .25 inches wide). Pet gate is chew-proof, lead-free & non-toxic
- Pet gate includes 4 pressure gate mounts for easy & secure installation, 2 additional 3" extensions & hardware for installation. Pet gate includes 1 year Manufacturer's Warranty
- Strong & durable steel frame construction utilizeses a spring release handle to securely lock door in place in between use, pressure mounts do not damage walls
- PRODUCT DETAILS: This Extra Tall and Extra Wide Outdoor Retractable Gate extends up to 71" wide and is 41" tall and includes components for easy installation: screws, catch mounts, wall spacer shims...
- RETRACTABLE DESIGN: This Extra Tall & Extra Wide Indoor/Outdoor Retractable Gate is a versatile home safety solution, allowing easy use in high traffic areas without the trouble of disassembly and...
- ONE HANDED OPERATION: The simple 2-step operation allows you to open and close while holding your child: 1. Push, twist and release button; 2. Pull the handle to extend the gate, when the handle is...
- CHILDREN & PETS: Built for functionality, the Extra Tall & Extra Wide Indoor/Outdoor Retractable Gate works as both an infant gate and a pet gate to keep mischief contained by providing a safe, closed...
- STANDARDS APPROVED: All gate lines are tested to the highest safety standards, meeting or exceeding both ASTM or EN standards. Each gate is certified and includes a 1 year limited warranty.
- Perfect for children 6-24 months and great for pets too
- Great for doorway, hallway and bottom of stair use.
- The all steel design is durable and convenient with a walk-through door
- Expands to stairways and openings between 29-56 inches wide
- Certified by both American society testing materials and juvenile product manufacturers association for safety and quality
- KEEPING TODDLERS SAFE SINCE 1953: Worry-Free Safety! The Easy Swing & Lock Baby Gate is built from long lasting, kid-tough, heavy-duty metal with vertical bars that are difficult to climb, keeping...
- SAFE & SECURE: Keep your loved ones safe with this hardware mounted gate that's perfect for large openings and stairways. There is no threshold so there is no risk of tripping and the gate will not...
- STYLISH AND DEPENDABLE: The matte bronze finish and durable steel construction make this gate durable and easy to use. The simple and elegant design will complement any home décor
- LOADED WITH CONVENIENT FEATURES: Equipped with one-hand operation. Swings closed & locks with a gentle push. Door only swings in one direction to avoid dangers of swinging over stairs. When not in...
- ADJUSTABLE FOR A VARIETY OF SPACES: This gate is 31 inches tall and designed to fit room openings 28.68 inches to 47.85 inches wide. This gate is JPMA certified. Safe for babies ages 6-24 months
- ⚙️[Easy to Install] Fast and convenient pressure installation design, using the included kit, installation does not require additional tools or holes in the wall. Includes a 7-inch wide extension...
- 🏘️[Adjustable Width] Expand to fit 27- 40 inches wide opening, stand 29.9 inches high. Very suitable for use with young children and small pets. Please make sure to measure your opening before...
- 🖐️[Automatic Closing Function] The baby gate is equipped with an automatic closing function, which can be easily opened by one-handed operation, freeing the other hand. Whether it is narrow...
- 🛡️[Robust & Durable] Take the walk-in safety gate, the pet gate can be quickly taken out of the opening for easy storage. The all-steel design has the durability and convenience of the...
- 💕[Note & Help] Before installation, there will be a fastening strap between the latch and the frame. Please fully assemble and fix the 4 bolts to the door first, and then cut the fixing strap....
- 【Sturdy Construction】The steel baby gate makes it durable and can defend up to the Alaska. You don't need to worry about the dog gate being pushed down hurting children. Fits openings 24.6"-80"...
- 【Hardware Mounted】Must drill the screws into the wall to add more security and protection for child gate. The lower bracket can slide up and down freely to meet your desired position. TIPS: Pls...
- 【3 Adjustable Angle Panel】Extra wide puppy fence allows to adjust freely the angle of the 3 panels to meet any opening, like hallway, stairs, kitchen or even weird open floor. Moreover, it is easy...
- 【Safety Double Locking】Your curious crawlers will be blocked by the dual locking handle baby gates. Safety release which makes it difficult for baby fingers to release. Easily create a safe space...
- 【Auto Close & Dual Direction Opening】To add more convenience for Mom, this puppy gate is equipped with specific hinge for auto-closing that can be easily opened by one-handed operation, yes, you...
- Durable wood frame
- Non-marring bumpers protect woodwork and walls
- No drilling or tools necessary
- For use at bottom of stairs, hallways, and doorways
- The gate expands from 28 to 42 inches which allows you to quickly adjust for openings of different widths.
- Hardware or pressure mount
- One hand, top release handle. Features a complete-control top handle that lets you lock, release, and adjust as needed. Wall cups must be installed to keep the gate in place
- 28inches – 42inches wide, 26inches high
- The minimum opening is 30 inches in hardware mount, swing mode
- Note-opening beneath installed gate is 1 to 2 inch from floor. Only install hardware into stair posts, door frames or wood studs behind wall